Tuesday 20 January 2015

CineMonday - Theory of Everything

I though that this was a very good looking film, particularly Cambridge which has never looked so lovely during the (tame!) May Balls sequence and i felt that Redmayne was very convincing as Hawking with a great physical performance as well as capturing the intelligence and humour.





 But i found the dialogue to be a bit clunky, and no I don't mean because of the electronic speech! There was a point early on where Jane, played by Felicity Jones asks what a viva is, and she's supposed to be a potential Cambridge doctoral candidate! I assume it was put in for an overseas audience, but it felt a bit off.
The film does rewrite history (and physics!) for the sake of making a better story by essentially skirting over Hawking's second marriage.
I loved the subtle costume and hair changes, particularly for Jones, as the years go by taking us from the 60's through to the 90's.
I saw this is a completely packed screen on an early Saturday evening (i booked the very last seat!) and i think it's doing very well here, and I can see this doing well awards-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment